Here is a list of awesomeness that I can’t quite find a way to tie all together, other than being awesome of course…
- "Hakuna Matata” was used in a conversation with one of my co-workers. We were sweeping this storage space for like an hour (I have blisters to prove it!) and I accidently swept all the dust into his face haha. He was like “hakuna matata, it means no problem.” I was like, “you don’t have to tell ME what it means!” For all those who know me…my life is complete.
- African Dance parties = Awesomeness. Dancing is a part of life here; everywhere you go, a circle is formed and the dancing begins! I always have the sudden urge to jump into the middle and get down with my bad self. I was told I was a “flexible” dancer, which means I’m a good dancer. Again, awesomeness.
- Last Friday, we had a Community Centre Opening Event, which was to invite the community out to say that the centre is officially open and explain some of our projects we’re currently offering. Over 50 kids showed up to demonstrate our curriculum, and at the end, they all lined up to dance to “I’m the World’s Greatest.” Cutest. Thing. Ever. (The pictures explain the awesomeness)
- I’ve been here a month, and before today, I had yet to find a mirror. I’ve been hunting every weekend, going into stores and asking, searching, for a mirror. Today was the day. Not only did I find a mirror, but I found something I’ve been yearning for since I got here: a diet pepsi. Hey, It’s no diet coke, and it’s definitely no Starbucks, but all they have here is coke zero (yuck), and I found both today. What a day. Needless to say, I sat in front of my mirror and drank my diet pepsi. It was pure awesomeness.
- My knee has been giving me no problems! I’m so relieved. There was a moment I never thought I was going to kick a soccer ball normally with my left leg again. I’ve been playing soccer as much as I can, and I’m no doctor, but I think all the playing has made my knee feel better! Maybe it’s in my head, maybe it’s Lesotho, but whatever it is, it’s awesome!
- I went on a run today around town. The other intern, Doug, told me it was a good 2-3 mile run up a “hill” that loops around back to our office. Hmm, he said “hill,” but I’m pretty sure he meant MOUNTAIN. I got to the bottom of the mountain, and was like “ut-oh.” I did my best to jog up that beast of a “hill,” but I got halfway and my calves were screaming at me. For everyone that’s played soccer with me, you know that I have no calf muscles; it’s all butt and thighs for me. So lets just say, I’m going to be a little sore tomorrow. But once I finally trucked my way to the top of the mountain, I was rewarded by the beautiful, African sunset….Awesome.
- Have to give a shout out to my Rice Soccer Girls! Clearly, Rice Soccer = Awesomeness! Beating TCU AND LSU back-to-back!! Damn! I am just so proud of them, and miss them so much!! Wish I was there to cheer you guys on!! (I’m sure you all miss me screaming at you! Haha) FBGM!!
Peace, Love, and Awesomeness!